Re: Progeny apt enhancements: SSL, redirect, cookies, auth

Jeff Licquia <jlicquia@progeny.com> writes:

> really possible with apt in its present state.  Specifically, we're
> looking into integrating our repositories with a Web authentication
> system we're using (pubcookie) that does its magic with redirects and
> cookies.

In case anyone knows how pubcookie works and tries to tell us it's broken
and can't work with apt, we know.  While Jeff is working on the apt side,
i am working on fixing pubcookie (in quite a few ways).  But that's
off-topic for that list; see recent discussion on pubcookie-dev.

> interactive authentication.  Our current thinking on implementing this
> involves using optional callbacks for registering interactive auth
> support, making the apt frontend responsible for supporting and
> implementing the callbacks.  This way, current clients would still work
> as they do now, and future clients could be enhanced to support this if
> there were a need.  We'd also like the auth extension to be applicable
> to other apt methods besides http.

Actually, there's some disagreement over how to proceed here, which is
part of the reason for posting to this list.  Some of us were thinking
of using Debconf for the interaction, but some concerns about this
were raised.

--
Eric Gillespie <*> epg@progeny.com
Software Developer