need new function in apt-get

Ok, lets say I decide that I've screwed up iptables.  In theory to reinstall it i would do:
apt-get remove --purge iptables
apt-get clean
apt-get install iptables

But if I do that I will have to reinstall the dependencys, in this case bind, and netbase.  Needless to say, that would suck and take a lot of time.  I have faced this problem more than once with different packages.  So the question is, has anyone considered adding an apt-get reinstall ?  It would just have to purge the program, temporarily ignoreing the dependencys, and reinstall it.  How viable is this?  Or is there another way I don't know about?

    -Todd Jordan