Re: some proposed changes/requirements for apt

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> No. We have found that some web servers will use redirects to correct
> spelling mistakes, a properly functioning archive server should never
> issue them.

Sigh.  That's such an absolute answer :-/

Our issue is that apache isn't scaling well for us for our current
traffic levels (about 1Tb/day) and we have to take measures to deal
with this.  Splitting it between different types of servers has worked
well, but the only problem we have is dealing with apt.

Our other alternative is to point the dns name at the lightweight
server directly - but then anyone trying to browse the debian tree
with a browser will fail. (i don't even pretend to be clueful about
using apt - does it ever try and do any kind of directory listing?)

> > The second query we have is getting apt to have some authentication
> > mechanism.  There seems to be no way to get apt to authenticate itself
>
> It supports authentication by putting the information in the http URL as
> per the proper RFCs. You can include that in the sources.list and it
> will be used automatically.

Ok, so i can instruct a user to add this into an appropriate file, thanks.

regards,

-jason