Question about apt and autoconfiguration

My name is Michael Sandford and I was wondering if there was any sort of system in place to help with auto configuration of apt sources from the list of mirrors.  I am going to assume that there is no such system and briefly describe my idea.  I thought it would be slick if there was some way to configure apt that helped make picking the mirrors to use for downloading easier.  When I first tried debian I just used whatever the defaults were and getting new packages took forever.  If there had been some way to pick among a list of mirrors that were sorted by ping time or something like that I would have had a much easier time.  What I am proposing I guess is a database of all debian mirrors that also includes a lot of data on the mirrors, most importantly what all they mirror.  I recently tried to install off of an unofficial woody install CD and had a "fun" time trying to find mirrors with the right packages.  The person who wrote the installer had the right idea by providin!
g a list of servers to pick from, but I'm pretty sure it was just from a textfile and it did nothing to address how fast the servers were and if they were even accessible.  I have a fair bit of experience with databases, you can see my latest project here: http://reciphp.vader82.net or http://sourceforge.net/projects/reciphp/ .  I look forward to your reply and I hope I can help debian.

Michael Sandford