Re: apt-get dselect upgrade problems

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 09:52:46AM -0400, John Covici wrote:
> I just did apt-get update before doing the upgrade -- how could they
> be out of date?

If you do a "dselect-upgrade" with apt-get, it will use the dpkg available
packages database.  Apt normally uses its own available packages database,
and does not use the dpkg database.  The dpkg available database must also
be kept up to date, but there is no "apt-get dselect-update" for that.
I think that apt-get should do this on every regular "apt-get update",
because it should keep the dpkg available packages list in sync with
the user's expectations.

You can still do this in dselect or manually, using
  apt-cache dumpavail | dpkg --update-avail

Until apt gets this right on regular updates, you should run update
from dselect.

It is generally also advisable to manage your package selections in
dselect, so you know eg.  what you are upgrading in advance.  Then, when
you run install in dselect, it will do the "apt-get dselect-upgrade"
for you.  So if you stay in dselect the whole time, it is even less
typing than with apt-get.

Cheers,

Joost