bug#44996: dselect upgrade fails using apt

Package: apt
Version: 0.3.12
Severity: important

I got this when trying to upgrade using dselect this morning:

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Merging Available information
Replacing available packages info, using /var/cache/apt/available.
Information about 3947 package(s) was updated.
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
/usr/lib/dpkg//methods/apt/install: line 41: 13651 Segmentation fault
$APTGET $OPTS dselect-upgrade
Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors
above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall again
Press enter to continue.

Linux erwin 2.2.12 #5 Wed Sep 1 09:30:30 EDT 1999 i586 unknown
Compiled with gcc 2.95.1