Building CVS apt

I'm trying out YACS to build some potato CD's on a powerpc box (that's all
I really have available) and it requires apt 0.3.11.1.  Building from the
latest CVS apt yields the following:
-----
two00:/usr/local/src/apt# autoconf
configure.in:98: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross
compiling
two00:/usr/local/src/apt# ./configure
./configure: tl_CHECK_TOOL_PREFIX: command not found
./configure: tl_PROG_CC: command not found
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for POSIXized ISC... no
./configure: tl_CANONICAL_HOST: command not found
./configure: tl_CHECK_TOOL_PREFIX: command not found
./configure: tl_PROG_CXX: command not found
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... g++ -E
checking for X... libraries /usr/X11R6/lib, headers /usr/X11R6/include
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet... no
checking for dnet_ntoa in -ldnet_stub... no
checking for gethostbyname... yes
checking for connect... yes
checking for remove... yes
checking for shmat... yes
checking for IceConnectionNumber in -lICE... yes
checking for XpmLibraryVersion in -lXpm... yes
checking for SLang_Version in -lslang... no
checking for Gpm_Open in -lgpm... yes
checking system architecture... configure: error: failed: use --host=
two00:/usr/local/src/apt#

At this point explicitly passing the host platform doesn't help at all,
same problem configuring.  I sure would be happy to hear what dumb mistake
I'm making. :)

Thanks,
--
Matt Porter