Re: SUggestions for Gnome-Apt (and for Apt-get itself!)

On Thu, 24 Jun 1999, Guilherme Soares Zahn wrote:

> 2) Gnome-apt should allow the user to interrupt a download (it may be
> necessary/useful for him to do so)... when we press the ¨Cancel¨ button
> that should do it, all we have is a smiling face... ;-)

The latest version has this, check it out. (I'm not sure if there are debs
on the server yet, but it's in CVS and the debs are en route.)

> 3) Gnome-apt should have an option to ¨save present session¨ or someting
> like it... In a slow connection like mine, it takes a VERY long time to
> do, for instance, the full upgrade of the XF86 parts (I've just done it!
> ;-)... It took me a long time to select which packages I had to upgrade,
> and after I started the whole proccess I couldn't abort it in any way,
> or I'd lose my selections...

This is planned... I was just thinking that it should definitely be in
libapt-pkg though. For the following reasons:

 - selections should be shared with the terminal frontend
 - It would be nice to be able to apt-get install --save-only foo bar
   as one thinks of stuff to install, then apt-get pending right before
   you go to bed or something

Anyway, we will have this sooner or later... personally I think it's about
the most annoying thing about gnome-apt.

> 4) Also, Gnome-apt should have the option of
> downloading-but-not-installing a bunch of packages... just like apt-get
> does!

That should be easy - can you file a wishlist bug so I don't forget?

Havoc