Re: Use apt to form a partial local mirror of Slink -- how?

> Yes, the old APT did not put an arch string and full version on the file
> so it won't read a new apt cache. The best bet is to use APT to install
> the new APT from slink, manually renaming the files if you have to and
> then install the potato APT.

Okay, I tried this but got:

# apt-get install apt
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...ok
Sorry, apt is already the newest version

I think the problem is that the version I installed was
apt_0.1.10_i386-libc5.deb whereas the slink version is "0.1.9".  What
should I do?

My other question is: is there anything wrong with me manually
deleting files from /var/cache/apt/archives that don't need to be
there?

Thanks for your help.  Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark.