Re: Use apt to form a partial local mirror of Slink -- how?

> On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, Mark Phillips wrote:
>
> > My second best option is to use nfs to symlink the laptop's
> > /var/cache/apt/archives to the desktop's.  This might work --- the
> > only problem here is that dselect-apt decides to delete all the files
> > in the cache!  How can I turn this off???
>
> This actually is the best option, there is no need to rebuild a directory
> structure, a flat directory will work just as well and is much easier for
> APT to manage. The latest APT in ptoat has an option to force dselect to
> not erase files.

I tried this symlink option in order to upgrade a hamm machine to
slink and it worked fine!  However now I am trying to upgrade an older
machine --- it is running Debian 1.2 (I think it was called bo???)
Anyway, because it was lib5, I needed to install a lib5 version of
apt.  The one I found was version "0.1.10".  The only problem was that
when it decided what it needed to download, it decided it needed to
download all "107M/107M of archives" which is strange because the
cache already has most stuff.  I tried to work out what was happening
and I might have the answer.  For example, it started downloading
"lyx_0.12.0.final-0.1.deb", while in fact there was already a cached
"lyx_0.12.0.final-0.1_i386.deb".

Presumably this older apt doesn't stick a "_i386" on the end of
packages whereas the newer apt does.  Hence the older apt doesn't
realize that all the packages have already been downloaded.

I think what I need is a libc5 version of the newer apt_0.3.2.  Does
this exist?  Where can I get it?

Thanks,

Mark.

P.S. Is there anything wrong with me manually deleting files from
/var/cache/apt/archives that don't need to be there?