Re: APT 0.3.2 offline use

On Wed, Mar 17, 1999 at 02:27:37PM +0000, Vincent Murphy wrote:
>  i just got APT 0.3.2.  it is an excellent tool.  i can't express how
> grateful i am to the people that created this.  :)
>
>  i have some comments to make about Jason Gunthorpe's offline 'sneakernet'
> use of apt-get though.  the instructions as distributed with the package
> don't work for me.  when you try to divert stdout to a file it doesn't
> work because apt-get asks "Do you want to continue?".  i tried just piping
> the output of `yes` into the "apt-get --print-uris dist-upgrade" command
> and this worked, although i had to modify the uris file by hand
> afterwards.
>
>  perhaps modifying apt-get so it prints "Do youwant to continue" to
> stderror might work, but i'm no expert programmer.
>
>  thanks again for this cool stuff.

Speaking of apt, ...

is it possible to have apt _remove_ packages as well as install them ? it is a
pain having to remove them by hand with dpkg --purge. Also a remove all
packages from a given source, or all packages labeled so and so would be nice.
This way apt could label gnome-stuff all packages from gnome-stage-2 and i
don't have to remove all the tens off packages by hand.

Guess this should be sent to the deity ml, so i will cc it there.

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER