Re: downloading via FTP method

In foo.debian-deity, you wrote:
> hey,
>    i dont know if its just me but with apt 0.3.1 there doesnt seem to be
> any method for retrieving files via ftp, when i put a line like:
>
>    deb ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/debian dists/released/
>
> i get the error:
>
>    E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/ftp could not be found.
>
> So i dont know whether or not im doing somethinig wrong, missing out on
> something or whatever, probably the case, but i was wondering if you guys
> could shed some light on it, that'd be great. It works in 0.1.1 but the
> methods dont seem to be compatible.

Apt version 0.3.x does not contain the ftp method.  If you must use ftp
(as opposed to http) then you should downgrade to apt 0.1.x.

This was mentioned in both the announcement and in the description
for gnome-apt.  It was my mistake for not also putting that disclaimer
in the apt description.

-Mitch
--
Any command with less than 48 switches is a Cat in the Hat book.
                                                  - E. Charters