apt run error

I ran the apt method of dselect and got:

 Reading Package Lists... Done
 Building Dependency Tree... Done
 The following packages will be REMOVED:
   libgtop-daemon
   dictd doom-musserver sp libgtkxmhtml1 docbook-stylesheets sgml-data dict-wn
   jade dict lout dict-hitchcock jadetex docbook debiandoc-sgml sgmlspm psutils
 37 packages upgraded, 16 newly installed, 1 to remove and 256 not upgraded.
 8767774,56269186
 How odd.. The sizes didn't match, email apt@packages.debian.org
 Need to get 8768k of archives. After unpacking 26.4M will be used.
 E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/ftp could not be found.

This set up was working this morning.

The only relevant thing to have changed is that on the last package
update I ran (this morning) I installed gnome-apt.

# dpkg -l | grep apt
ii  apt             0.3.0          Advanced front-end for dpkg
ii  gnome-apt       0.3            Gnome front-end to apt
ii  libapt-pkg-dev  0.3.0          Development files for APT's libapt-pkg
ii  libapt-pkg-doc  0.3.0          Documentation for APT development

     "Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the
      life; no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."
                                John 14:6