Re: root vs. user (Re: Gnome-apt hmm)

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Lalo Martins wrote:

> I thought that was what "su" was for :-) And if this doesn't do,
> you can just write a separate suid binary that only does the
> strictly-root part and only runs with root's password in stdin,
> or something (apt-su?)

If you're going to have a different program, you have to get the current
state in some kind of text or inter-program format anyway, so you may as
well just have load/save settings in a general way and not fool with the
root thing.

When Debian supports PAM we can have a Gnome su program useful for things
like this.

Havoc