Re: apt 0.3.0

On Fri, Jan 29, 1999 at 10:47:53AM -0600, Havoc Pennington was heard to say:

> On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >
> >   * When apt is started, it defaults to grouping by letter.  This is almost
> >    useless; any of the other grouping mechanisms would be much better.
> >

> OK, consensus here. Which do you think should be default?

  Probably status and (if multilevel grouping is implemented) under that,
section.

> >   * Use tooltips.  There are a lot of non-obvious things in the interface
> >    (D, K, I?  Are those state markers?  Why are they apparently not used?  Why
> >    can't I even toggle them off in the Columns menu?)
> >     (A better thing would be to eliminate the non-obvious things, of course)
> >

> I'll look into tooltips; the standard Gtk ones won't work because none of
> those elements are widgets, and tooltips attach to widgets.
>
> DKI is Delete Keep Install; you can't turn them off because they are the
> whole point of the application.

  Ok.  Could you explain exactly what's going on with Delete Keep Install?  I
don't exactly see how they're supposed to work.

> >   * I somehow accidentally marked a package (apt, no less) for deletion by
> >    clicking on an innocuous-looking part of the window and now I can't
> >    set it for install/keep again.
> >

> You must have clicked in the Delete column... if not then it's a bug.

  Yeah, I think that's what happened.

> >   * As a result of that, gnome-apt is broken, but the status "would be
> >    broken" overlaps with the section "admin" to its right.
> >

> I can't avoid this without sizing every column to fit the largest
> contained text; this would be slow, and also annoying, IMO.

  Agreed. :-)

> (However, "Would be broken" should be clipped, rather than extending on
> top of admin. If it isn't that's a bug.)

  That was what I was thinking, but it might be GTK+'s bug, not yours..

> >    I'd expect the subtree of a package to be the contents of the package.
>
> You mean a list of files in it? Is that useful?

  Maybe, or maybe just not give them a subtree.  It just seems kind of strange
to find the dependancies of a package under it hierarchically.

> >    Also, the icons should be either replaced or supplemented with a verbal
> >    description of its meaning. (The slashed O must be..Conflicts?  And the
> >    R is Replaces I guess.  And the other funny diagonal thing must be Keep since
> >    since that's what all my packages are set to)
> >

> Documentation will help here. Verbal description in the tree view takes up
> too much space.

  Yeah, I was thinking that maybe if you put them in the box to the left
the icons could have a verbal representation.

> I'm thinking a little dialog with each image and an explanation.
>
> >    Aside from the fact that I can't change any package's status except to remove
> >   it (I can't even detoggle Remove) and the fact that all my packages are listed
> >   as Keep (or is this Correct Behavior?),
>
> Ah, I see the confusion.
>
> I should rename those from Toggle. It isn't really Toggle, because they
> are only active if they are not already set. It is really Set. i.e., set
> to be deleted, set to be kept, set to be installed.
>
> It is correct that they are all kept, because you haven't asked to delete
> or install. Kept is not the same as Held. Kept is just what we are
> actually going to do in this run, not a persistent flag.
>
> If you choose Mark Upgrades, a bunch of stuff should get marked Install.
> You can then tweak manually.

  Is there any persistent tag for this? (like Hold)

--
  Daniel Burrows

  Nothing is hopeless.

  PROOF:
(a) Assume the opposite.
(b) If something _is_ hopeless, then its condition can only improve.
(c) If its condition can only improve, then there must be hope for it.
(d) Therefore, nothing is hopeless.  QED.