apt-get, nfs 2.2.0pre1-4 fails

I share the apt caches (/var/state/apt/lists and
/var/cache/apt/archives) between hosts by making symbolic links to nfs
mounted directories.

This works on kernel 2.0.36, but on 2.2.0pre1 and 2.2.0pre4 I see
this:

fratercula# apt-get install blt8.0
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...ok
  blt8.0
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 145 not upgraded.
Need to get 0b/494k of archives. After unpacking 1150k will be used.
E: Could not get lock ../lock - open (37 No locks available)
E: Couldn't lock the Output dir, /var/cache/apt/archives/ another process is using it

Apparently, NFS locking does not work. Probably a kernel bug, but I
report it to you anyway.

Jon