Re: apt-cdrom in 0.3.0

On Dec 29, Jason Gunthorpe decided to present us with:

> The problem is that you have packages.gz but no packages, I've fixed the
> CVS version to work 'correctly' but it will not be able to use your CD. I
> assume this is something you burned yourself and not something you bought?

Right. It's a CD dump of old files I wiped from my HD to save
space. I really _should_ have generated a Packages file but I
didn't think of it in time.

> Otherwise I will have to do something about it. Perhaps an apt-cdrom
> genpackages (call dpkg-scanpackages) is the way to go for such
> uber-damaged cdroms.

A good thing. There could be a way to tell the file method not
to trust Package files too (perhaps, for sources with this
option specified, check if there are debs newer than Packages or
not in it, and then run scanpackages).

IMO dpkg-scanpackages (last version I checked) is broken too,
because it requires an override file (otherwise section and
priority are blank). It should use info from the deb whenever
the override file doesn't tell it otherwise. But this is the apt
list, not dpkg :-)

The point is some people like to just download packages and have
them stuffed somewhere. Perhaps now with apt this can change
(apt-get with an http source and edit it to never clear the
cache) but even then I will only be able to get rid of these
debs when slink is released (and I have my CD on the box).

[]s,
                                               +----
--
     And the sign said the words of the prophets
 are written on the subway walls and tenement halls