Re: splitting packages - Huston, we have a problem.

[deity list - I'm not subscribed, Cc'd replies appreciated]

On Fri, Oct 30, 1998 at 01:24:03PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> >We need some kind of line in control that apt/dselect understand to tell
> >them that the packages just split.  dpkg probably doesn't need to know/care
> >about it.
>
> This is one intended purpose of Replaces.  Surely the new packages
> declare Replaces on the old ones ?  It's definitely on the wishlist
> for dselect to automatically select package A if a new version of it
> or new package of it appears which Replaces an existing and installed
> B.

Based on how many people are hit by this (with apt the most since you cannot
see what new packages there are, the primary reason I use dselect) I would
estimate that this probably should not be on the wishlist and more on the
"needs to be done soon" list.  If the netstd split wasn't enough trouble,
the X split had us in #debian beating our heads against the wall..  When I
suggested someone use dselect with apt so they'd see all the new packages
they gave me the usual complaints about dselect, and then blame Debian's
package manager in frustration.

If the feature exists, it should be used.  I kinda think of this as a bug
myself.

--
Show me the code or get out of my way.