Re: Thoughts on new messages?

    Jason> I've fiddled around with adding more informative messages,
    Jason> you think this is going too far?

    Jason> Wakko{jgg}~/work/apt/build/bin#./apt-get install eterm
    Jason> Reading Package Lists... Done Building Dependancy
    Jason> Tree... Done Some packages could not be installed. This may
    Jason> mean that you have requested an impossible situation or if
    Jason> you are using the unstable distribution that some required
    Jason> packages have not yet been created.

Excellent. I'd add ".. or they have not been propagated to your
mirror from the Incoming queue on the master Debian server."

    Jason> Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely
    Jason> likely that the package is simply not installable and a bug
    Jason> report against that package should be filed.  The following
    Jason> information may help to resolve the situation

(add a colon there at the end)

    Jason> Wakko{jgg}~/work/apt/build/bin#./apt-get install
    Jason> mail-transport-agent Reading Package Lists... Done Building
    Jason> Dependancy Tree... Done Package mail-transport-agent is a
    Jason> virtual package provided by: exim 1.92-3 [Installed]
    Jason> zmailer 2.99.49.9-2 ssmtp 2.29-1 smail 3.2.0.102-1 sendmail
    Jason> 8.9.1-9 exim 2.04-3 E: Package mail-transport-agent has no
    Jason> installation candidate

Add a little information here explaining this, saying "There's
no way APT can choose one of these for you."

You could also use this information when a broken package doesn't
list a preferred dependancy when it depends on a virtual package
but no real alternative.

--
Brought to you by the letters K and L and the number 18.
"Disobeying me?" "No, I don't." -- Final Fantasy II