Re: ftp handling should be more robust

On Fri, 9 Oct 1998, Francesco Potorti` wrote:

> This is an example of a recent download of mine:
>
> Get ftp://ftp.de.debian.org slink/main svgalib-dummyg1 [17.9k]
> Error ftp://ftp.de.debian.org slink/main svgalib-dummyg1
>  425 Can't open passive connection: Invalid argument.

This line, being formatted this way, is a sign that it is coming from the
REMOTE ftp server.  When I get the error, I just pass it to apt.  So,
something is funny on the remote end.

> The error  you see  is a  transient one, probably  due to  server overload.
> Calling apt  again downloads the file  without problems.  I  think that apt
> should be more clear in its error  message, and also that it should be more
> persistent in the  face of ftp errors, that is, it  should retry the failed
> downloads, possibly after having tried the other ones.

You might be right, that it has to do with server overload.  I can't be
anymore clear in the error msgs, than what the remote end gives me.  It has
been asked several times whether apt-get and its methods should support regets
on errors, and it is being discussed, but there are no affirmative plans at
this time.

Adam
apt-get/ftp author