Re: interactiveness in methods

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Lalo Martins wrote:

> Hello? Is this list dead? :-)

No :>

> Here's the deal. I sat down today to try my hand at a
> "mountable" method for apt (a better sollution than "cdrom"
> IMHO) and I noticed it wouldn't be possible - at least, not the
> way I conceived it, unless it was implemented internally.

Yes, this is pretty much exactly why there is no cdrom method!
There are many other reasons but it all boils down to the current
method interface being insufficient for a very broad number of things and
will have to be replaced.

> think. The method requests user confirmation via stdout, and apt
> answers using signals, as in:

Except of course that the method gets the filenames in the wrong order and
that APT cannot handle a CD swap :>

The better solution is to have a channel that APT can use to send things
TO the methods which is what will go into the next revision (0.3.x), along
with a CDROM method that makes use of it. The next version will have a
totaly incompatible method API.