Re: Xfig installation configuration stage bug

> On Sat, 25 Jul 1998, Amos Shapira wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm not sure which package's fault this is, so I'm not filing this as
> > a bug yet, but when I installed xfig from the released Hamm (xfig
> > 3.2.0-2) using the APT method of dselect (apt 0.1.3), I got the
> > following output:
>
> This is the menu program printing things on the screen asyncronously.

> > Setting up xfig (3.2.0-2) ...
> > xfig can use Imperial (inches) or metric (cm) units.
> > Which one do you want by default? [i/m]Update-menus: waiting for dpkg to finish (forking to background)
> > Update-menus: (checking /var/lib/dpkg/lock)
> > [ At this stage I didn't see any change for a few seconds, and when running
> > "top" on another xterm I didn't see any new process, so I pressed "Enter"
> > and got the text below ]
> > You must specify either `i' or `m' [i/m]: m

Yes, this seems to be a problem in update-menus. And a matter of bad luck:
I guess that mostly you see the messages the other way around. I'll try to:
  - make update-menus in general somewhat more silent,
  - make sure the messages that the above messages are printed before
    the fork() (thus ensuring that they will always be printed synchronisly)

> > Xfig installed fine, but there is certainly some bug there.

Yes, thanks for the info.