Re: Xfig installation configuration stage bug

On Sat, Jul 25, 1998 at 10:57:58AM +0300, Amos Shapira wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm not sure which package's fault this is, so I'm not filing this as
> a bug yet, but when I installed xfig from the released Hamm (xfig
> 3.2.0-2) using the APT method of dselect (apt 0.1.3), I got the
> following output:
>
> Checking system integrity...ok
>   transfig xfig
> 0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 568k of archives. After unpacking 1233k will be used.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
> Get http://debian.bard.org.il hamm/main transfig [128k]
> Get http://debian.bard.org.il hamm/main xfig [440k]
> Fetched 568k in 1m58s (4807b/s)
> (Reading database ... 28438 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking transfig (from transfig_3.2.0-2.2.deb) ...
> Unpacking xfig (from xfig_3.2.0-2.deb) ...
> Setting up transfig (3.2.0-2.2) ...
> Setting up xfig (3.2.0-2) ...
> xfig can use Imperial (inches) or metric (cm) units.
> Which one do you want by default? [i/m]Update-menus: waiting for dpkg to finish (forking to background)
> Update-menus: (checking /var/lib/dpkg/lock)
> [ At this stage I didn't see any change for a few seconds, and when running
> "top" on another xterm I didn't see any new process, so I pressed "Enter"
> and got the text below ]
> You must specify either `i' or `m' [i/m]: m
> Making metric units the default...done
> There are two application defaults (app-defaults) files for xfig -- Fig-mono
> and Fig-color.  Which one would you like to use? [c/m] c
> Linking Fig-color to Fig...done
>
> Press enter to continue.
>
> Xfig installed fine, but there is certainly some bug there.

I see no bug at all (not in xfig at least). xfig's postinst script asks
you a question ("Which one do you want by default? [i/m]") and waits for
you to answer. When you hit "Enter" it tells you that's not a valid
answer ("You must specify either `i' or `m' [i/m]") and so on. The only
bug (a cosmetic one) is in dpkg, as it runs update-menus in the
background and its output is displayed at the screen over whichever is
running there (xfig's postinst here).

OTOH, new versions of xfig don't ask questions at its postinst, so this
cosmetic problem won't happen for them.

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es