Re: Hamm CD's

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 02:24:46AM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> : > CDROM-drive or on a remote CDROM-drive (mounted via NFS) or used via
> : > FTP) and should care about it.
> :
> : I was not planning on having any sort of special cd layout. Each CD is a
> : completely stand alone instance, you insert it, run the magic 'cd-update'
> : thingy to read the package files and APT is forever aware of what is on
> : that CD and will prompt for it at will. If your CD set has main contrib
> : and a non us cd then you repeat this process 3 times.
>
> Yes, and this is what I didn't like.  I'd like to have the user insert
> the first CD and than the package handling tool knows about _all_
> packages.  But problably this could be made optional.  The major
> change is an
>
>     X-Medium
>
> header in the Packages file.  The CDs are labeled like

This is somewhat workable but raises the question of how you name the
CD's, AFAIK there is no portable (across kernel versions) way to get the
CD-ROM volume lable which this proposale hinges on.

I think using the CD's distinctly is a better solution for hamm, we can
look at this for slink. It's most probable that someone will implement
this and get it wrong somehow - esp this close to a release date.

I'm also thinking that this does not belong in the Package files but in a
release file. The primary CD would have the Package files and Release
files for the second CD and the release file would indicate the new
volume. This way the package files describe files that are in the tree
they are ontop of and nothing else. I belive this is a good property
(Consider people wanting to use scripts)

The main CD could have a /index/ directory that has the Package files for
all 5 CD-ROMS ie /index/dists/stable/main/binary-alpha/{Packages.gz,Release}
The release file indicates the CD packages in the Packages.gz can be found
on.

Since the package files in /dists/ are correct as far as dselect knows we
can implement a simple method now and move on to a more complete solution
later.