Re: Hamm CD's

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 11:34:26PM -0700, Ben Gertzfield wrote:
> : >>>>> "Heiko" == Heiko Schlittermann <heiko@datom.de> writes:
> :
> :     Heiko> We're selling and testing the multi-cd feature.  [But
> :     Heiko> beware: it's a hack und should be replace by some more
> :     Heiko> advanced things like apt ...]
> :
> : I'm Cc: ing this to the APT mailing list.
>
> That's fine.   Since my mail to Jason (?) wasn't answered.  So
> we considered to hack apt ourself, but Sven (sr1) had have
> a look into the sources and was convinced that this isn't the
> Right Way ;-)  It should be left to the apt author(s).

I got an email? :> I got one saying you were going to work on something
and you'd let me know when you had something more..

> : How can we work together to merge the changes you've made to dpkg
> : with apt?
>
> We should discuss about the changes I made to the CD layout.  The
> dpkg-multicd methods will be out of interest since apt doesn't rely on
> these methods, does it?

Uh oh, please explain exactly what the changes you made are, I have a good
(yet difficult for me to implement which is why we don't have it yet)
scheme to deal with this, I hope it's compatible.

APT does not use the dselect methods in any way.

> apt should detect the presence of a multi-CD layout (either in the local
> CDROM-drive or on a remote CDROM-drive (mounted via NFS) or used via
> FTP) and should care about it.

I was not planning on having any sort of special cd layout. Each CD is a
completely stand alone instance, you insert it, run the magic 'cd-update'
thingy to read the package files and APT is forever aware of what is on
that CD and will prompt for it at will. If your CD set has main contrib
and a non us cd then you repeat this process 3 times.

A method for dselect should operate similary. When you perform 'update'
with the dpkg-cdrom method it should ask for CD's, read in the package
files and then merge them into the available list. When you do an install
you repeat the process and it will runt dpkg -iGROBE over the disk. [or
something to that effect].