Re: Forwarded message from Fabrizio Polacco, 11:05:13 Sun,14 June 1998

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998 srivasta@datasync.com wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> 	Could we have a manual page for the ftp method or something?
>  You can get the manual page by saying pod2man methods/ftp/ftp >
>  apt-ftpmethod.1 or something (I'll leave the name and placement to
>  you guys)

I think the idea is that most of the documentation from pod2man is 'extra'
that is, it is not something anyone should have to deal with. The ftp
method implements a defined and documented interface so we don't need to
re-describe that.

Everything that is user-configurable is contained in ftp.conf.5 in a
plain straight forward fashion.

<fab is below>
> oh, I see, I can get it with pod2man /usr/lib/apt/methods/ftp
>
> Anyway, I suggest to modify it to have a different name, as ftp(1) is
> the old'n'usual client. Also add "apt" as a subsection (I will add it
> in the slink's man-db list).

Well, the name of the method is not going to change - it must remain as
'ftp' (just as http is called 'http') - be aware that these are not user
invokable programs, they implement a specific interface that is only ment
to be used by higher level tools.

I'm told that ftp.conf is not taken in any package - it would be nice to
designate this as being apt/ftp.conf though. In a newer version there will
be a reference to ftp.conf in the sources.list man page.