Re: apt and hamm

Some time around  14 Jun 1998 13:28:00 EDT,
         Adam P. Harris wrote:

 > This issue has been addressed in some detail by the testing group.  To
 > begin with, I must point out that some dpkg installation methods these
 > days do quite a nice job of package ordering on their own (I think
 > dpkg-ftp is the best one aside from apt).  That being said, sure, none
 > of them are as nice as apt.

dpkg-ftp does ordering? wow, that's news to me.

 > Futhermore, there is a difference, I think, between selection of the
 > acquisition method for *upgrades* versus *new* installations.
 >
 > Finally, even if we do provide apt as an alternative mechanism for
 > *upgrading*, there's the question of using apt via dselect or using
 > 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.  My recommendation is to use 'dist-upgrade',
 > and then use dselect with the apt method, and manually remove old
 > packages which are no longer needed (since dist-upgrade intentionally
 > tries to preserve the existing package state as much as possible).
 >
 > Finally, there are still some reports that apt segfaults for some
 > systems.  Jason has done an excellent job of responding to these
 > issues as they arise, but it's natural there may be bugs yet in the
 > system.  So I feel that droping the road-tested autoup.sh would be a
 > mistake.

Agreed.

 > This is my recommendation:
 >
 > (a) we need specific installation instructions for upgrading.  Igor,
 >     is this supposed to be part of the install.sgml document, or is it
 >     separate?

No, this is supposed to be part of Release Notes (at least, that's what I
thought).  I believe Arto Astalo (sp?) was (is?) working on those.  I haven't
seen anything from him in a while though.  One thing is for certain: we do
need release notes, and someone should write them up fast ;-).  I will not
volunteer till I am caught up with other Debian things.

 > (b) recommend for upgrades that users use *either* autoup.sh or, if
 >     they are daring, 'apt-get dist-upgrade' followed by making it
 >     dselect's acquisition method.  It would be excellent to support
 >     both of these methods via CDROM is possible, but I would hate to
 >     see that slow down the hamm release cycle.
 >
 > (c) document how to best go about upgrading with either method.  I
 >     have an outline of documentation for upgrading via apt; I'd be
 >     happy to complete this if I have committment from someone (either
 >     Igor, or the apt maintainers I guess) that this document is needed
 >     and useful and will ship, and *where* it will ship.

Please go ahead, and work on this.  It would be cool if you could expand it to
have other release notes too, but upgrade instructions is something we can't
ship hamm without.

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@igoria.net