Re: On adding size info to Packages files

On Wed, Jun 03, 1998 at 09:31:01AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> >>"Michael" == Michael Bramer <michael@grisu.weh.rwth-aachen.de> writes:
>
>  Michael> If the the size information isn't in the debian-package,
>  Michael> then i must download two files (NAME-VERSION.deb and
>  Michael> NAME-VERSION.size.gz) or dpkg has no information of the size
>  Michael> and can not make a warning message. :-(
>
> 	True. dpkg is a low level tool. The warning message at the
>  moment is generated by apt (so many packages to install, after
>  installing 324k shall be used). I don't think this belongs in dpkg;
>  it belongs in apt. APT can use a Sizes file (one download,
>  independent of the packages to be upgraded) to generate warnings *IF
>  ASKED*. I still think there are people out there who do not want this
>  in the first place.

OK.
If only apt (and dselect ?) should use the size information, that is ok and
you and the others are on the right way.

In this case, dinstall should make the size information on master.
dinstall must check the package and can make the information from the deb
file.

Grisu