Re: Size of a du index for packages (Complete index = 74 K)

Hi,
>>"Jules" == Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:

 Jules> The point I'm making is not directly that - it's more to do with (someone
 Jules> else's idea) of restricting which directories size information is stored
 Jules> for.

 Jules> A simple partition list, as they suggested, would not be good enough,
 Jules> since as sys-admin I'm entitled to stick in a symlink at any depth...

 Jules> I wasn't having a go at your script - sorry if it sounded like I was! I
 Jules> saying that for correct operation we do need sizes for *every* directory,
 Jules> we can't simply list the top two or three levels and guarantee success..

	Yes, we need to have the full listing to take care of all the
 cases out there. Also, as far as I can see, the size was reduced from
 9xk to 7Xk; and we should ask, is the saving in size worth it?
 IMHO, a 100K du file is way better than I expected (I still am
 interested in seeing how this datum was generated, my off the cuff
 calculations indicated a size several times larger).

	manoj
--
 "It's said that 'power corrupts', but actually it's more true that
 power attracts the corruptible.  The sane are usually attracted by