Re: Size of a du index for packages (Complete index = 74 K)

On 29 May 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Jules" == Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
>  Jules> More serious problem, though, manoj, is symlinks.
>
> 	I see you have not read the checkdu script I posted, or tried
>  it out. What the script does is that it reads /etc/mtab to get the
>  mounted partitions. Then it does a stat on each dir to get the dev_t
>  field.
>
> 	So, symlinks are *NOT* a problem. (I would not have presented
>  a solution here which did not even address the obvious smlink issue)

True, I have not read your scripts.  However, I did correctly understand
them :-)

The point I'm making is not directly that - it's more to do with (someone
else's idea) of restricting which directories size information is stored
for.

A simple partition list, as they suggested, would not be good enough,
since as sys-admin I'm entitled to stick in a symlink at any depth...

I wasn't having a go at your script - sorry if it sounded like I was! I
saying that for correct operation we do need sizes for *every* directory,
we can't simply list the top two or three levels and guarantee success..

Jules