Re: New APT version

Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:

> > On Tue, 5 May 1998, Joey Hess wrote:
> >
> > > This makes me wonder if we should think about dropping autoup as
> > > the preferred way to upgrade to hamm, and switch to apt. On the one
> > > hand, autoup has been tested pretty thouroghly and we shouldn't risk
> > > postponing debian 2.0 to work out bugs in apt. On the other hand,
> > > I've never seen autoup as anything but a hack. Apt also lets people
> > > accomplish the entire bo -> hamm upgrade from inside dselect, which
> > > is much cleaner.
>
> i agree. if apt can do it and is ready in time for testing then we
> should certainly drop autoup and use apt instead.

I disagree strongly. We know what autoup does, it's a simple shell script with
a fixed sequence of commands that have been carefully thought out and tested
widely. APT is still in beta, and while it's good that it's fairly predictable
it cannot be never be quite as reliable as autoup.

FWIW I've had some fairly serious problems with apt. It has a habit of giving
up at the first sign of problems, often leaving dozens of packages
unconfigured.

greg