Re: Premature aborts in apt again.

Hi,
>>"Jason" == Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca> writes:

Jason> On 10 Apr 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>>  Package: apt Version: 0.0.5
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is the problem. Note that is suspended sendmail and left the
>> system hanging there. dpkg --configure --pending to the rescue.
>>
>> I think we need to think about when aborts are permitted. Error
>> recovery should be pulled up higher on the list.

Jason> I can't do anything about this for some time, need some more
Jason> structure before it's easially doable. Don't expect anything
Jason> till the UI is done, unless you have some sort of simple hack?

	Umm, no simple hack; we shall have to examin all error
 genrating code.

Jason> I'm not sure it is as large a deal you make it out to be,
Jason> sendmail has been deconfigured for a long time, what is a few
Jason> more mins while the buggy script is fixed?

	It is a bigger deal, I think, than I made of it. There is no
 buggy package. There are no buggy scripts. Sendmail is
 perfectly fine.

Jason> I assume you have filed bugs against the two packages that had
Jason> failed scripts?

	As I said, no scripts failed. Sendmail was just left
 unconfigured through no fault of its own. All other packages unpacked
 before rocks-n-diamonds were left unconfigured too. And none of them
 have bugs.

Unpacking replacement rocks-n-diamonds ...
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
dpkg: error processing /var/spool/mirror/debian/dists/frozen/non-free/binary-i386/games/rocks-n-diamonds_0.9b-4.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess dpkg-deb --fsys-tarfile returned error exit status 2
 /var/spool/mirror/debian/dists/frozen/non-free/binary-i386/games/rocks-n-diamonds_0.9b-4.deb
E: Sub-process returned an error code

	On a subsequent run (again, packages are unpacked, but never
 configured, and packages meant to be unpacked after rocks-n-diamonds
 never are.

	This means I can not use apt to upgrade my package until the
 archive has a non-broken copy of this package. There is no reason to
 stop dead just because md5sums did not match for *one* package, and
 leave important packages unconfigured and not running (sendmail is a
 fairly important package for any site).

	In fact, any non-essetial package shall be left hosed by apt!!

	manoj

--
 There you go man, Keep as cool as you can. It riles them to believe
 that you perceive the web they weave. Keep on being free!