Re: premature aborts?

On 7 Apr 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	I have good news. With the -m option, the upgrade went all the
>  way (postgresql failed to configure, cause initdb is not found, but
>  that is not apt's problem).

Oh good, I'll wait for Adam's results as well (he requested this too)

> 	I still have a nit: I like this behaviour (and, in fact, would
>  suggest this being the default) but for one thing: I do not want all
>  the error messages to vanish as well.

Well, as I said, -mf may give an extremly cryptic warning when used
together and -f is the default for the dselect method. -mf will -not-
always be able to continue in the case of some failures, while either
option on it's own is relatively safe.

Probably should change the warning to be more meaningfull and then perhaps
flip it on by default.

> 	Ideally, I would like apt to be forgiving of external site,
>  while warning about (and logging, if possible) any error while
>  downloading, so I may file a report with the archive manager ot
>  whoever responsible.

Well, I removed the messages because they would simply scroll off when
dpkg did it's thing. I think the real solution is to actually have logging
(gasp!).

Tell me what you want logged and where/how and I shall arrange it. Include
how you'd like the dpkg output to be logged as well.

Also, would someone suggest when downloaded .debs should be erased?? Right
now it never erases them.

Thanks,