Re: Deity

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Charles Briscoe-Smith wrote:

> A couple of comments about your Deity Files document.
>
> - Are you sure they're URNs?  I think, if you're going to support
>   http:, ftp: and the like, these are actually URIs (the set containing
>   all URLs and URNs).

Ah, I misread the RFC, the one I was thinking of is 1630 URI's in the WWW.
Guess Ineed to change it all..

> - Do you really need the `cdname' file?  The CDROM filesystem already
>   contains some descriptive stuff in its header (I'm not sure of the
>   format, though).  Since deity will be (potentially) mounting the
>   CDROM itself, it should know where to find the device, and so it
>   should be simple enough to read the block of description data off the
>   CD device.  OTOH, the `cdname' file could be an option for
>   manufacturers with broken mastering software, who can't label their
>   disks properly...

Actually I looked into that before putting the file in. It is not at all
simple and is kernel version dependant amungst other things. The
information is there, simply very hard to get at. Would be nice if the
cdfs driver created a .cdinfo dir under the mount point or something.

a cdname file is a nice simple way to get around that.