dpkg-get and closed door development ...

So far I think that the name discussion about the deity project has
been mis-used and blown out of porportion, but it stems from right
thinking.  Bruce is absolutely right about the name being
potentially offensive and its insensitive to not address this when
debian has the ability to.  After seeing the post from Manoj, I'm
convinced that the deity team is not able to make rational
decisions about "their" tool (although I thought it was "debian's"
tool).  Since this tool affects every other debian developer and
user, that's the scope of consideration.  This is not an opinion,
its reality.  Thinking that Jason coded it, so he can act in a
vacuum, is just plain wrong.

How can anyone in good conscious use terms like "suicide" in the
standard output of a tool they expect to be widely used???  Does
this term mean something in a different language that isn't
completely negative?  All the same bantor about daemon demon and
server apply here as well (from the nameing thread).  I think if you
can justify something this insensitive, you can justify anything and
you've lost all sense of reason.

I have an idea, why not make the tool pop up arbitrary windows with
racial slurs in multple languages -- just for fun!  Just to show the
world what a sense of humor Debian has, you should probably also
name the menu button labels for terminal disease conditions, or
handicaps of some sort.  That would be a great laugh I'm sure.

Sheesh!

I have a hard time believing that if this was being developed (i.e.
designed) on the pulbic list that now sports the minimal discussions
about icons and such, things like this would have been addressed
(because people like me would have seen them as they were being
considered and made our feelings known).

I'm not a developer, just a user -- but isn't that who the software
is being developed for?  I'd be willing to bet that any wide spread
use of this tool would no doubt bring many a mail to the debian-user
list complaining about its offensive nature.

Please consider reviewing the tool now called deity and its
components.  I think there is absolutley no technical reason to not
be considerate of other people.  I understand that you can't please
everybody, but you can at least try to not go out of your way to
piss on people.

Thanks

--

Richard