various people's calls on the name

Brian Sparks, CEO of Caldera:

    If it were me I wouldn't use it but I wouldn't say
    I am offended either. I just prefer to stay on the
    respectful side of the Almighty :-)

Simon Shapiro, long-time Debian participant:

    I think that Deity is the least offensive, as it is not God's name,
    but a term describing His capabilities (so to speak). It is not
    offensive (to me) to say His name, especially in search for
    respect, as you do. I would change that Devil package name
    though. Never looked to see what it does because of this name.

Ian Murdock, founder of Debian:

    I'm Catholic, and I don't find the name particularly offensive, but
    I can certainly see how others might. Then again, if the name is
    in any way meant to be a jab at the religious, then I am definitely
    offended. (But I don't know if that's true or not, since I don't
    know the full story.)

    In any case, I agree that the name should be changed before we
    release it.  It's at least presumptuous, if not offensive.