Re: more names

bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> Ferret didn't make it past the marketing filter. Who wants to name it
> after a nasty rodent?

I agree that Ferret does not make a good packaging manager name.

However, ferrets are neither nasty nor a rodent.

They are small predatory animals (i.e. meat eaters, whereas rodents are
herbivores). However, they are also one of the more cute and cuddly pets
out there.  In fact after dogs and cats, you will find that ferrets are
the next most popular pet in North America.  I believe the modern ferret
is only a pet now.  I don't think that they exist properly in the wild
anymore (a bit like the domestic cat or dog).

Have you ever played with a pet ferret?  They are a riot, and one of the
cutest darned things.

Although I don't have a ferret, I have many friends (both where I live
and across the internet) with pet ferrets, and I don't like people to
spread misinformation about them.

Small pet peeve of mine.  (please excuse the pun).

Behan 8)

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com
+1-613-224-7547   http://www.verisim.com/