Re: names

bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> Non-native-English speakers like "Deity". I think the religeous connotations
> make it un-usable.

I can see where you're coming from, however the term "Daemon" is in the
same boat and I don't think (many) people object to that.

> Several people like "DPM". I would like to offer this software to others than
> just Debian, and I think that makes "DPM" a bad idea. Red Hat actually wish
> they didn't use their own name on RPM, as that has induced others to stick
> their company names on the front of things like "COAS". Even "LPM" is too
> limited in my opinion.

I agree.  I think the name should not limit it to Debian.

> Marc Ewing said that Red Hat had a manager written by the BOGUS folks
> called "PM" for a short time, but he does not object to our using that
> name. He still reads debian-devel, I guess.
>
> Several people pointed out that OS/2 uses "PM" in names.

Could we stay away from a name that's less than 4 characters long?
Although I too don't like to type anymore than I have to, I don't think
a package manager needs to be so short a command name that it might
accidently be typed by mistake.  I think if people want to run the
pacakeg manager they can hit at least 4 keys to make that wish
unambiguous.  For instance, I doubt anyone would type dselect or dpkg by
mistake.

Unix has to many 2 char commands already.

Later,

Behan

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com