Re: Package unions (fwd)

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Behan Webster wrote:
>
> > I am working on an idea more like dpkg --set-selections.  A file lists a
> > set of pacakges that constitues a certain kind of debian setup (e.g.
> > minimum setup, server, X workstatio, etc.).  The only thing this is used
> > for is the initial setup and it has no ongoing affect as to the packages
> > installed on the system.
> >
> > What are other people's opinions and ideas?
>
> Yeah, I agree with you, and was thinking more along the lines of what you
> said. A way to bulk single shot install/upgrade/remove a group of
> packages.

Ok.  That kinda confirms my thoughts.

> The information for these sets would not be in the packages file and would
> not be part of the Dependancy mechanism.

Precisely!

> BTw, did you get the last um.. 4-5 emails in the past two days, and are
> back on the list, etc?

Yes, I'm back.  8)  Our reoccuring computer problems are largely gone
now!  Yippee!  We have stable Linux systems again.  I hate hardware
problems!

I thought I had adequately replied to everything I should have except
your email about the UI draft.  I'll need a bit of time to go through
that more carefully.  There is a lot of info in there to work with.

Later,

Behan

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com