Re: Package description field

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Christian Schwarz wrote:
>
> > The Debian packaging manual contains a complete chapter (chapter 7) about
> > the description fields. Please check this out first. If you discover any
> > points that are not covered by this chapter, please drop me or Klee a
> > note.
>
> Well first off, let me say that I am pretty sure that about 20% of the
> packages blatently misconform to this. I was forced to put a disturbing
> number of special cases into the parser, stuff like:
>  - Expand tabs to 8 aligned spaces
>  - Allows a blank line with no dot but a number of spaces to be the same
>    as a ' .' combination <sigh>
>  - Handling of misindeted '.' lines
>
> The manual does not specify any sort of way to format lists, I would
> suggest adding some comments that a line starting with a '*' or '-' will
> be considered a list. Fruthermore a */- indicates a paragraph break. Also,
> it would be good to forbid the use of ---- made lines (like that ssh
> example) and to clarify that paragraphs MUST have a empty dot line between
> them (like the ssh example didn't do). I would also forbid the use of
> other letters for bullets, 'axe' uses 'o' :< 'Dialog' is another example
> that really messes things up..
>
> I use a very different formatting routine than dselect, what dselect does
> won't really cut it for cramming these things into 20 characters :<
>
> Checking for the most obvious violations should probably go in your new
> checker script too..

Richard is already working on a script to check the descriptions and is
currently running "ispell" over everything. Perhaps he should comment on
this.

Cheers,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/