Re: Autoinstall, upgrade, etc

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Behan Webster wrote:

> First of all, I think we are using the "auto flag" in different ways!
> 8)

All better now it would seem!

> Personally  I would treat all existing package as having been manually
> installed.  Perhaps we can give the user the facility to mark them as
> having been auto installed (which of course is probably what you were
> saying previously, but I missed it, sorry).

I don't think there is any choice in this, all existing packages have to
be manually installed, so that is how it shall be.

> > Oh, I just thought of something, when I a package to see it's depends list
> > will packages only matching the selection critera be shown or will all
> > packages be shown? A similar question for the 'install as well' field.
>
> If I understand your question correctly, the keywords only affect the
> selection list.  If a package is to be "installed as well", whether or
> not it is in the selection list is irrelavent.  It should be shown in
> the "installed as well" column.

Hm, typo 'when I a' => 'when I expand a package'

I am asking about the 3rd level of the tree, 1st is section, 2nd is
packages matching profile and 3rd is dependancies (suggets/recommends/etc)
of the package.

Should the 3rd level of expansion follow the keyword profile or be
independant?

> I was just starting to think that there might be a way to pull a package
> out of the auto update system completely, but perhaps it's not such a
> good idea.  Forget I mentioned it.  8)

That's 'keep' isn't it? There simply is no way to keep a package in
the uninstalled state.