Re: YADW (Yeat another dpkg wishlist)

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> In an ideal world this code would be in a nice little library and dpkg and
> Deity would both happily call it to do the needed things. But since it is
> quite unlikely that we will be able to get anyone to rewrite enough of
> dpkg so that it can use our library Ian will end up rewriting our code and
> we will have two (supposidly) identical views of how to do dependancy.

Personally, I would like to see this happen ultimately.  I think the
immediate
goal of deity should be a rewrite of dselect, but ultimately, I think
that
all package management should be handled by one backend library, with
both
dpkg and deity being possible front ends. (A cgi front end being
another).

I think there is nothing sacred about the current dpkg.  I think it's
great and the best package manager around, but that doesn't mean that
it's
perfect.  I think we should ultimately be pushing for the above to
happen.

Let's get the first version of deity out first though. 8)

Behan

--
Behan Webster     mailto:behanw@verisim.com
+1-613-224-7547   http://www.verisim.com/