Re: Timestamp

Hi,

Behan> Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>>  On 7 Oct 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>>
>> > A time stamp at install/delete time in the status file for an
>> audit trail.
>>
>> I think part of the Deity spec was to have a complete audit trail
>> of what was done, so you aught to get your wish. Please add it to
>> your spec :>

Behan> You're both right.  There should be a way of getting the
Behan> install/delete date.  There will also be a log of all packaging
Behan> changes made to a machine. The first can be read from the
Behan> second if we wish, or alternatively these dates can be added to
Behan> the dpkg database.  Either way.

	Right. But, as I mentioned elsewhere (I think -- my memory
 seems to be going with moving into the new house), this is *not*
 Deity's purview, since anyone can install packages using dpkg itself
 (and there are a lot of people who are used to doing that). If Deity
 can be bypassed (and rightly so -- it is just a user friendly front
 end), the audit trail has to maintained by dpkg itself.

	An audit trail maintained by Deity is likely to be incomplete,
 and hence give a false picture of the environment -- which is worse
 than no audit trail at all.

Behan> I can't find these dates shown anywhere in my UI spec!  Drat.
Behan> I had meant to put it in there.  I will endevour to do so for
Behan> the next version.

	I think we should get the dpkg maintainers invlved in this ;-)

	manoj
--
 Aren't you glad you're not getting all the government you pay for
 now?