Q about modules and driver

Hi,

I don't really know if this is the correct list to ask this kind of question, if not, could you please point me the right one?

I've recenty installed debian wheezy (with kernel 3.0) on a macbook pro (8,1) . I got it up and running, but I'm struggling with the multitouch trackpad that came with the mac.
The thing is, I'm trying to use the X module 'mtrack', but it's not even loading. I've asked to several people and everything is where it should be (but still is not working) so i'm wondering how is the flow between the kernel and X, who should identify the trackpad? How does the kernel tell the X which device to listen for input?
I was reading the example of how make a simple X module that reads from random, but looking in this mtrack module i could't find anything that point to the right input device; I'm asumming the kernel or X should do some discovery of their own.

Tthanks for reading :)

--
David