Re: release-notes: Needs to state that X doesn't correctly detect all monitors

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 00:04:35 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> I don't think this bug report as written is something that the documentation
> team can reasonably take action on.  I really don't like us saying
> "sometimes this happens", we should be clear about *why* this might happen.
> We also need a clear description of what steps we recommend users take when
> in this situation in order to configure their xorg.conf correctly, and for
> this we need the input of the X maintainers.  Cc:ing debian-x for this.

I'm not sure what issue the submitter wanted to have documented.  I'm
not aware of any new issues in squeeze regarding monitor detection.

I do think we need something in the squeeze release notes regarding X
upgrades, though, I should probably file a separate bug about that
(basically saying X may fail to restart on upgrade if you don't reboot
on the new kernel or adjust xorg.conf first; and advising people to move
off the radeonhd driver, which is deprecated in favour of radeon).

Cheers,
Julien