Re: -5 Soon?

On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 05:46:45AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 February 2006 05:08, David Nusinow wrote:
> >    I've got all the fixes I needed to get in for -5. I still need to
> > update the MANIFEST stuff for Zephenia's patch, but other than that I'm
> > good to go for it. Does anyone have any fixes they really want to get
> > in for this release that I should hold off for? I'm still hoping that
> > this will be the last release I have to make of 6.9, maybe ever :-)
>
> You are probably aware of this, but...
> You may want to investigate with RM first why -4 version hasn't made it to
> testing yet. With my D-I RM hat on, I'd still like to see X migrate to
> testing ASAP.
>
> Looking at [1], I would say it's the packages that become uninstallable:
>
> Updating xorg-x11 makes 22 non-depending packages uninstallable on i386:
> beep-media-player-dev, clusterssh, exmh, fglrx-driver, fglrx-driver-dev,
> iconc, karbon, koffice, krita, kword, kxstitch, labplot, libdockapp-dev,
> liblineak-dev, libosmesa4-dev, librmagick-ruby, librmagick-ruby1.8,
> libsoqt-dev, mesag-dev, openthesaurus-de-kword, rss-glx, tclmagick
>
> The fact that a dbus update is part of the picture makes a quick migration
> look quite unlikely though :-(

Ouch, I had planned to wait until -4 was in testing (I'd forgotten to write
that in the above) but I had no idea it was so tangled up. I'll wait it
out, which will give anyone the chance to patch up this codebase. It also
gives me an excuse to focus on modular :-)

> P.S. Wanted to congratulate you on getting the packaging for the modular
> server together. So, well done!

Thanks :-) I'm hoping to upload it along with the drivers to NEW in the
coming week or so.

 - David Nusinow