various and sundry XKB issues (was: Denis Barbier: THANK YOU)

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 10:18:22PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> Arf, thanks :)

:)

> BTW several xlibs bugreports should be reassigned, but I do not know
> which packages are the culprits.

Yeah, I know.  We'll get to 'em when we get to 'em.  Some of are ancient
and are probably from submitters who are no longer reachable.

Anyone on this list should feel free to handle the easy cases, e.g.:

Existing bug title              Should be reassigned to
xlibs: [Xft]                    libxft1
xlibs: [Xi]                     libxi6
xlibs: [Xt]                     libxt6
xlibs: [libX11]                 libx11-6
xlibs: [xf86dga]                xlibs-static-dev

...and so forth.

> Here are some thoughts about remaining bugs:
>  * Macintosh layouts
>       #234113 #67812 #111905 #121297 #157170 #166478
>    I have no access to Apple keyboards, so I won't try to fix them,
>    but will be glad to help if some people from debian-powerpc are
>    interested.  Upstream now ships symbols/apple which might fixes
>    some of these bugs.

...and I have a USB PC keyboard plugged into my Macintosh.

>  * Hungarian layouts
>       #33154 #76439 #86539
>    This layout is special, its behavior under hu_HU locale is different
>    from other locales.  Fixing these bugs certainly require some help
>    from Hungarian folks.

Yes.

>  * altwin:left_meta_win and altwin:meta_win options
>       #234081 #241034 #164767
>    Explanations on these bugs have been sent to
>      http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=241034&msg=18
>    Fixing altwin:left_meta_win is not trivial, but please apply the
>    patch to fix altwin:meta_win, you could then tell submitters
>    to use altwin:meta_win instead of altwin:left_meta_win and close
>    these bugs.

Fabio put this on the TODO for -8, and I'll apply it unless I run into
some sort of problem, which I doubt.

> (In da.po, "altwin: meta_win" has a spurious space)

Fixed in r1286; thanks!

> One problem with latest XKB bugreports (changes in X 4.3) is that we do
> not know if xlibs has to be blamed, or if other apps are modifying XKB
> settings.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to modify the X server itself to log
the fact that its view of the keyboard has been changed.

> In order to reproduce the reported bugs, I slightly hacked
> setxkbmap.c to ignore current server settings.  If a -noserver
> command-line flag is added (patch attached), we could ask submitters to
> run a setxkbmap command and determine if this bug belowgs to xlibs.

I don't like this patch as-is, but I *do* like the idea (if nothing
else, the manpage needs to be updated as well :) ).

Would you like to file a wishlist bug and maybe discuss what I don't
like about it?  :)

Thanks again for all your work on these issues.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     The last time the Republican Party
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     was on the right side of a social