Re: Full Debian install impressions and facts

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 10:16:40AM +0100, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
> >On 18.IV.2004 at 13:27 (-0500) Branden Robinson wrote:
> >>
> >> The main challenge here, as I understand it, is that d-i basically uses
> >> console-data's paradigm for keyboard description.  So what we need is a
> >> gigantic mapping table in xserver-xfree86.config to translate
> >> console-data keyboard descriptions into XKB
> >> Rules/Model/Layout(/Variant?) tuples.
[...]
> One of my post-sarge TODO items for console-tools is to implement xkb
> keyboard parsing in loadkeys (using X11 libraries). Then merging the
> two keymap sets, with the X ones being definitive (ie removing
> separate keymaps for the console).
>
> So I would prefer to have the table in console-data
> and have kbd-chooser / prebaseconfig seed the debconf database
> for X11.
>
> Any comments?

That would completely rock.

> What debconf entries would need to be set?

Well, the template names I use for XFree86 are:

xserver-xfree86/config/inputdevice/keyboard/rules
xserver-xfree86/config/inputdevice/keyboard/model
xserver-xfree86/config/inputdevice/keyboard/layout
xserver-xfree86/config/inputdevice/keyboard/variant
xserver-xfree86/config/inputdevice/keyboard/options

These could easily become shared templates.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |       Arguments, like men, are often
Debian GNU/Linux                   |       pretenders.