640x480 XFree limit problem: not Neomagic specific

The "I can't get a greater screen resolution than 640x480 following upgrading XFree" problem isn't specific to Neomagic or LCD hardware.

Here's similar output I get with my Voodoo3. Similar situation with my Voodoo4 and I think my Matrox G450 too. NVidia cards are fine for me.

I'm fairly sure my sync lines are ok, especially since they work well with my NVidia cards (TNT2 + geForce2mx).

Hardware: Voodoo3, CRT Monitor capable of 1024x768@80hz

- Can only achieve 640x480 or lower.
- DRI doesn't work.
- other cards effected before, Voodoo4 an Matrox G450 I think too.

If I try 1024x768, 16bit I get:

"(EE) TDFX(0): Virtual height (0) is too small for the hardware (min 200)
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

List of people who also have experienced this "Can't get higher than 640x480" cc list: debian-x@lists.debian.org; redwards@golgotha.net ; rodrigo@linuxave.net ; journey@jps.net ; carl@os-s.com ; simon@joyful.com ; fnord@cosanostra.net ; mas@echo.fr ; jago25_98@hotmail.com

These email addresses were obtained from http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2000/debian-devel-200011/msg01514.html
-----
Thank you for your time. (Please Type "REPLY:" in subject field if you wish to highlight your response, thx). jago25_98@catholic.org is just my email provider of choice, that's all; I agree with thier policies over email.

Stay in touch with absent friends - get MSN Messenger http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger