Matrox G450 on 1GHz Athalon (asus motherboard)

Hi all,

(config:1GHz Athalon on Asus motherboard, Matrox G450)

I'm in the process of switching from Slackware to Debian.
The distro I downloaded is the current "TESTING" as the
"Stable" stuff was just too old.

A problem I've been having (not unique to Debian) is that
my machine tends to lock up on me.  It worsened with the
release of the 2.4.20 kernel but since my XFree86 was up-
dated then it may be more related to it.

Doing a hard reset is the only recovery and I get no log
messages.  I recompiled the kernel to no avail.  I haven't
fully checked out the 2.6.xx kernel yet.  I'm still trying to
get my Debian install setup how I want/need it.

Any advice on how to start tracking this down would be
greatly appreciated (this is the first problem I haven't
been able to solve--maybe its just hardware).

SuSE, Slackware, and Debian all have the same lockup.
I will be building up a new machine starting Monday but
this one will still see a lot of use.

Thank you.

Dale E. Edmons